Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Practicum week 3

Today I made sure to get up early, shower, drink coffee, I even talked to Jeris before my day "officially" started, which was really nice.  Then I went and did practicum, (which for me is mostly low-key assisting and observing.)  I sat on the other side of the room this time and got to know a couple different people.  I think my favorite part of the whole session happened early on when we started with the "hello" song and not even halfway through one of the clients felt the need to request a song for us all to sing.. only he couldn't think of what it was.  We stopped everything to hear him out with everyone silent while he tried his very hardest to remember, saying "it's...ummm" about 20 times.  We all agreed that he could think on it while we finished the song.  He did think on it and soon after requested that we all sing the national anthem.  So we did.  We sang the national anthem all together and it was the best version I've heard yet.
I really appreciated that within the session, although there's a plan, we can veer from it depending on what's going on that day. 

Next week I'm going to ease my way into leading.  I'm going to bring in the theremin and hope that it doesn't scare them!  I'm also gonna lead a song.  Hopefully it will all go well.  I'll just try to imagine them as kids and I'm sure it'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment