Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's Wednesday

It's Wednesday.  I skipped class this morning because later today I have to get a root canal and I thought that I deserved a free morning.  I slept in, cleaned both bathrooms, showered, and cleaned my room while listening to music.  It was a great morning.  Now I'm gearing up to go to the dentist.....ugh.

Yesterday I had my fourth session at Port City.  (Fourth or fifth...I'm losing track.)  This session felt slightly different from the rest.  I'm starting to get a sense of what' "normal" behavior for most of the clients is and yesterday I witnessed some of them exhibit unusual behavior.  I wasn't quite sure how to respond or what it meant but we carried on with the session and everything went fine.  One thing that really had an effect on me was the client I sat next to.  I get the sense that she can understand others just fine but she is severely physically disabled as well as with her speech.  She definitely tries to communicate but it's really really hard to understand.  She participated quite a bit yesterday, trying to play the drum, the glockenspiel and other instruments.  But she kept looking over at me with this terribly sad look in her eyes.  The peak of this was during the last song which my supervisor sang.  The chords were very sweet and sad and the lyrics were something along the lines of "how can anyone tell you you are less than beautiful........less than whole..." etc.  At one point during this song she was practically sobbing, (the client), and I had no idea what to do.  It was really sad but maybe it was what she needed?   I don't know...I'm not a music therapist yet.

We only have a few sessions left and then I'll be placed at a new site next quarter.  I think it'll be hard to say goodbye and I'll probably feel guilty leaving.  But I'm also really excited to get more experience at a new place.


It's all very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment