Monday, May 23, 2011

Reaching the end of another quarter...

This quarter has been intense.  Most of my classes all year long have been leading up to the end of spring quarter and the music proficiencies I have to take.  I haven't updated this for a long time mainly because I've been pretty over-worked this quarter, but it's almost over.  I'm trying to be realistic about these tests and I know that I'm not proficient yet in many areas.  Mainly the music history, some parts of keyboard, and ear training...but whatever I pass will be a plus and I'll work on whatever needs work after that.

I finished another quarter of practicum last week.  I was at the an adult care home  for people needing round the clock care.  The group in the MT sessions is a small one, (the staff isn't very good at getting clients to come...) but it's a good group nonetheless.  These sessions are recreational and quality of life focused.  We have 4 clients who come regularly, 3 elderly and one young adult with developmental disabilities.  At first I thought I would really struggle with this population compared to the group I had and grown to love last quarter.  The energy level is significantly lower and the group is generally soft-spoken as a whole.




A few of my favorite moments were:

*Helping the clients improvise on the xylophone, (while I played guitar or ukelele)

*Songwriting. (We talked about what we like to do with the ones we love)

*Playing the tone bars with the group (if you don't know what these are you should look them up!)

There's lots more to say and hopefully I'll do a better job of keeping up with this blog.

Wish me luck on my proficiencies...

No comments:

Post a Comment