Today I had my second practicum session at Port City Development Center. The session went just as well as the first but I think my energy level was significantly lower. I'm not sure if this was noticeable to anyone....I hope not. I sat next to the same two clients today, not really on purpose, it just happened that way. The client to my left (I'll call him "David") really likes rock music and always has his tape player and head phones with him and will randomly blast his music during the session. A little distracting but whatever.... The client to my left, (easily my favorite so far, I'll call him "Sammy") is really into randomly naming holidays. I definitely couldn't understand him at first but after hearing a staff member repeat what he said a couple times I started to catch on. He turned to me several times saying "happy mother's day" or "halloween" and then "happy birthday" and "icecream cake." I'm slowly figuring out how to respond to things like this. So far I find myself just repeating back to him whatever he says or I'll say something like "I love icecream cake." Sometimes I think I sound really stupid....
Adults with developmental disabilities is for sure a new population for me. I'm comfortable with kids and pretty comfortable with the elderly but anyone in between sort of makes me nervous.
No comments:
Post a Comment